Today DZG celebrates its 77th anniversary with a glimpse across the decades from our archives . . .
Dudley Zoo’s newest arrivals make their way to the site prior to the May 6, 1937 launch
1940s style: Sealions join the moat pools Crowds at Tecton Kiosk One
Keepers head for the poll station by camel on October 6, 1959
Big cat keeper, Ernie Collins, cleans out the lions’ den in the early 1960s
Cuddles the killer whale joins DZG in 1971
Keeper Derek Grove – now Senior Curator with juvenile African elephant, Kasama, in the mid 80s
HRH Queen Elizabeth II opens the Castle Visitor Centre on June 24, 1994
Lemur Wood opens 2005 – home to more than 30 free-roaming small primates in a one-acre walkthrough paddock
Penguin Bay, a £40,000 exhibit that’s home to more than 60 Humboldt penguins launches on May 6, 2012 our 75th anniversary
The sky’s the limit . . . our 1958 chairlift undergoes a £117,000 Heritage Lottery Funding refurbishment and opens to the public after 11 years on August Bank holiday 2013
Following a multi-million pound makeover the Modernist Tecton entrance and Safari Shop open for business Easter 2014 visit soon and join our 77th anniversary celebrations!